Shot Football

Trump praises FIFA decision as Belgium questions Balogun red card suspension ruling

ReutersReuters5 Jul 2026, 22:20
Trump praises FIFA decision as Belgium questions Balogun red card suspension ruling

Folarin Balogun is now eligible for the World Cup round-of-16 match against Belgium after FIFA suspended his red card suspension under a probationary ruling. The decision followed a controversial sending-off in the win over Bosnia, with debate over VAR, disciplinary rules, and outside political pressure including remarks from Donald Trump.

United States striker Folarin Balogun is available for the World Cup ​last-16 clash with Belgium after FIFA suspended his ban for a red card on Sunday in an unprecedented move following a call ‌from U.S. President Donald Trump to FIFA President Gianni Infantino.

Balogun scored his third goal of the World Cup in the 2-0 win over Bosnia but was shown a red card in the second half for planting his boot into the ankle of Tarik Muharemovic.

The 25-year-old was sent off after a VAR review, with U.S. coach Mauricio Pochettino saying it was never a ​red card offence.

Trump called Infantino to ask world soccer's governing body to review the sending-off, according to a source briefed on the call.

FIFA ​is allowing Balogun to play without rescinding the red card.

"In line with article 27 of the FIFA Disciplinary Code, the ⁠implementation of the match suspension is suspended for a probationary period of one year," FIFA said in a statement.

"If Folarin Balogun commits another infringement of a ​similar nature and gravity during the probationary period, the suspension shall be revoked and the sanction enforced without prejudice to any additional sanction imposed for the ​new infringement."

The judicial body has the discretion to fully or partially suspend the implementation of a disciplinary sanction.

Reuters has contacted FIFA for comment on Trump's call with Infantino.

"Thank you to FIFA for doing what was right, and reversing a great injustice," Trump wrote on Truth Social while the White House celebrated Balogun's reinstatement in the squad with ​a post on X saying: "USA-USA-USA."

U.S. Soccer accepted the decision while Balogun's teammates said they only found out via social media on their way to training ahead of Monday's ​game in Seattle.

"We found out about it just coming over here," American forward Christian Pulisic told reporters.

"At first, you're like, 'Oh really, is this real?' And then 'Oh, this is great ‌news'."

"FIFA bases its decision on Article 27 of the FIFA Disciplinary Code. This provision states that the FIFA Disciplinary Committee may decide to suspend the enforcement of a previously imposed disciplinary sanction," the RBFA said.

"However, Article 66.4 of the same FIFA Disciplinary Code clearly provides that a ​red card (sending-off) automatically results in a ​suspension for the team's next match, ⁠as has been the case for all previous red cards issued during this FIFA World Cup."

It said the decision was in direct contradiction with the provisions of the tournament's Regulations.

"As set out in Article 10.5: 'If a player or team ​official is sent off as a result of a direct or indirect red card (second caution), they will automatically ​be suspended from their ⁠team's subsequent match,'" the RBFA added.