3 hours ago

Xabi Alonso makes decision on job offer from European giants amid Liverpool links

Xabi Alonso makes decision on job offer from European giants amid Liverpool links

Xabi Alonso has been out of work for barely a month after he was sacked by Real Madrid, but the former Liverpool star was recently offered the chance to make an immediate return to coaching.

Xabi Alonso has turned down an approach from crisis-ridden Marseille, as rumours of a return to Liverpool continue to swirl. Alonso, 44, was sacked by Real Madrid in January, just seven months after leaving Bayer Leverkusen.

Real's defeat to arch rivals Barcelona in the Spanish Super Cup final spelled the ended for Alonso, but issues behind the scenes played a role in him getting the axe. It's been reported that multiple senior players felt disrespected by the Spaniard and were dissatisfied with his philosophy.

Alonso's fractious relationship with Vinicius Junior was also symbolic of his failure to win over the dressing room. In typically ruthless fashion, Real president Florentino Perez dismissed him and their season is showing signs of recovery under his replacement, Alvaro Arbeloa.

But Alonso's miserable experience at the Bernabeu, where he spent five years as a player, has informed the criteria for his next job. According to French outlet RMC Sport, the former midfielder immediately rejected Marseille's approach over concerns that the Ligue 1 club is 'too chaotic'.

Four days later, sporting director Medhi Benatia announced his departure. Benatia said that he could no longer 'ignore the current climate' following a 'breakdown in communication' with Marseille's board.

The club's owner, Frank McCourt, has since confirmed that Benatia will remain in his post until the end of this season. In Saturday's 2-2 draw at home to Strasbourg, supporters behind both goals boycotted the opening 15 minutes and whistled their team during the match.

After Alonso turned them down, Marseille turned to appoint Habib Beye. The former Newcastle and Aston Villa defender has taken the reins at the Stade Velodrome, despite being sacked by Ligue 1 rivals Rennes last week.

Marseille fans protested during their last match(Image: Emilian Baldow/Icon Sport via Getty Images)

As for Alonso, he's taking some time to decide his next move, having once been Europe's most in-demand coach. The 44-year-old has been tipped for an emotional return to Liverpool, where he'd replace Arne Slot.

Last month, a journalist asked Slot whether Alonso had contacted him to discuss taking his job, and the current Reds boss replied in good humour. "Yes he called me and said: 'What do you think about the team because I am going to take over in six months, can you tell me a little bit more?'" Slot joked.

"Or maybe earlier. Maybe he takes over tomorrow! No, no, no. This is one of the weirdest questions I ever got. What is there it say? I am working here for a little bit more than one-and-a-half years and I really like my work over here.

"We won the league last season, struggled more in the league this season. That is also obvious, so yes what is there left to say?"