Shot Football

Pochettino rues U.S. failure to deliver in World Cup heartbreak

ReutersReuters7 Jul 2026, 06:48
Pochettino rues U.S. failure to deliver in World Cup heartbreak

Mauricio Pochettino admitted the U.S. were below their best in a 4-1 loss to Belgium, rejecting excuses and saying the team must build on its progress.

United States coach Mauricio Pochettino said ‌his side failed to show their true level in a crushing 4-1 defeat by Belgium in the World Cup round of 16 on Monday, as he declined to blame off-field distractions for the hosts' exit.

Roared on by a fervent home ​crowd in Seattle and buoyed by impressive wins in the group stage and round ​of 32, the U.S. had entered the match with belief they could ⁠upset a Belgium team many considered vulnerable.

Instead, Pochettino's side produced their most hesitant display of ​the tournament and were punished by a clinical Belgian team.

"We didn't show our real quality as ​a team," Pochettino told a press conference.

"We never connected with the game. Belgium were better than us, and that's it.

"It was a very bad day. It wasn't our day, collectively or individually. In a tournament like the ​World Cup, when that happens in a knockout stage, you are out and you need ​to go home."

The U.S. briefly appeared to have found a foothold when Malik Tillman scored to make it ‌1-1, but ⁠Belgium quickly regained control, leaving Pochettino frustrated by his team's inability to build on the equaliser.

"Even when we scored, in the next action we conceded," he said. "Normally you cannot concede in that moment."

Pochettino rejected suggestions that controversy surrounding Folarin Balogun's availability, after FIFA suspended his red-card ban and ​Belgium's appeal was dismissed, ​had affected the team's ⁠performance.

"We were not good enough today. We don't need to find excuses," he said. "All that was happening around was around, but it wasn't a ​situation that affected us."

Pochettino's contract expires after the World Cup, and ​he said no ⁠decision had been made on whether he would continue.

"Now is a moment to rest a little bit, to think, to have conversations and then see what the decision is from the federation and ⁠from ​us," he said.

Despite the heavy defeat, Pochettino defended the team's ​progress, saying the U.S. had taken major steps in the past year.

"We need to keep improving," he said. "But I am ​proud. I think we settled the principles for the future."