Shot Football

Barcelona pause Julian Alvarez pursuit and explore striker alternatives

ESPNESPN4 hours ago
Barcelona pause Julian Alvarez pursuit and explore striker alternatives

Barcelona have put their pursuit of Julián Álvarez on hold and are exploring other striker options, although a late move or January return for the Atlético Madrid forward has not been ruled out.

Barcelona have parked attempts to sign Julián Álvarez and are exploring other striker options before the transfer window closes, a source has told ESPN.

The source says Barça have not ruled returning for Álvarez at some point -- potentially even in January -- but Atlético Madrid's reluctance to transfer the Argentina international has forced sporting director Deco to assess alternatives.

Barça coach Hansi Flick is insistent on the signing of a No. 9 to cover the departures of Robert Lewandowski and Ferran Torres.

"We're looking for that player [a striker] and Deco is doing a great job," Flick said Wednesday.

Other key figures at the club believe there are already sufficient options within the squad if a new striker does not come in.

"We've lost two players in attack, Lewy and Ferran," Deco added. "I think we have solutions to cover Ferran with the signings we have made. Replacing Robert is much more difficult. It's really tough to replace a player like him.

"We have some internal solutions, but we have to look [what's available]. There is a lot of noise. I think there will be more movement, we are still working hard."

Álvarez has always been Barça's top target, as revealed by ESPN earlier this year, and the Spanish champions had an offer rejected of around €100m earlier this summer.

Atlético, meanwhile, have stuck to their stance that the former Manchester City forward cannot leave, despite him publicly telling ESPN he wants to move clubs.

Barça had hoped Álvarez's comments would soften Atlético's stance, but the source says the club now accept that beyond a "radical" late twist, it is not a deal which is on the cards this month.